Monday, May 13, 2013

Things I Suck At, Part 2

While my first Things I Suck At post was born of a crappy week, this one is a result of moving to a new city and overanalyzing myself to a cellular level.

Only kidding, sort of. These are things I've observed about myself, but have somewhat managed to brush off with a laugh. I'm evolving, people.

  • I can't for the life of me master the hummus-to-vehicle ratio so that all my bites get equal hummus love. Either I'm left trying to jam 2oz of hummus onto my last two rice crackers, or I'm eating 7 naked baby carrots.  I prefer my baby carrots modestly clothed in a savory blend of tahini and chick pea puree.

  • Still can't manage to make a phone call while people are listening, at least not without a heart rate of 150. I've managed to become quasi-comfortable using my professional voice for work-related calls, but I still have to excuse myself to make personal calls. Apartment hunting in a cubicle environment next month ought to lose me at least 5 pounds with the amount of times I'll be shuffling out into the hall.

  • I really suck at taking compliments without turning into a giggling fool. "Thanks, he he he he." Shut UP, girl. Shut up. "Thanks." And if you are feeling in the affirming mood, "That's nice of you to say." Period. You are not five.

  • It really sucks to have to switch bank accounts, but after three months, I still can't remember which bills I've put on auto pay and which ones I left to manually pay. Trust me, it only takes one time double-paying your student loan to make you stand up and pay attention...and make a freaking spreadsheet. (I did this once with my mortgage, too. Ouchity ouch ouch.) I hope to have this part of being an adult down by, like, age 36. I will kick you in the shins if you remind me that that's in 7 years. Mind your own business.

  • Sometimes I focus so much on remembering to ask people "getting-to-know-you" questions, that I forget to listen to their answers. I need to Google tricks to remembering names/details. Though, I think the trick is DON'T BE SO SELF-CONSCIOUS, no one is thinking about your hair/last answer/facial expressions, GET OUT OF YOUR OWN HEAD. I think.

  • Painting my nails. Oh my god. I need to find my old copies of YM and reteach myself. If they offered Girl 101 courses, I'd totally enroll. What was I doing during my formative years? I mean, besides cutting out pictures of JTT and Andrew Keegan while watching Camp Nowhere on repeat?
Except both kind of look like the right.
Topcoat, schmopcoat.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment