Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Off The Wagon

I've fallen off the gluten-free wagon. Being sick is when having food sensitivities is the toughest for me. I had come into the holiday season with self-pep-talks about how strong I would be at gatherings, and huddled with my mom to make sure we made a few dishes at family gatherings that were dairy and gluten free (me) and low in sodium (her). Recipes were researched, ingredients were purchased, and then bam--the flucoldplaguesinusinfection monster, as its been so lovingly dubbed around these parts.

It started with fried chicken on the second day of the flu. I was getting down to the nitty gritty of my groceries, and I woke up from a nap with the cold sweats--and intense hunger. Chicken was the only fast food option that sounded good...and it sounded SO good, so I pulled on my boots over my sweats and warmed up my Jeep. I didn't feel any immediate reaction. I should know better.

It has since devolved into other convenient carbs--crackers, chips, and a cheeseburger. Ugh, it hurts just typing it out.

All of my symptoms have come back--tummy troubles, painful joints, headaches. And I'm completely convinced it's the reason my sinus infection couldn't be kicked with an antibiotic. (Don't get me started on the antibiotic's side effects.)

Pity parties are just so much less compelling when they are self-inflicted.

Today it's back to dairy-free smoothies, lots of greens and water--and zero dairy/zero gluten. I'm trying not to kick myself too hard...this lifestyle is difficult, and so much harder when you barely have the energy to get off the couch. But it's become clear that making those choices have real consequences for me, and I'll have to try harder to prepare for the times that making those choices is really, really tough.

I'm armed with a high-quality probiotic, and all the discipline I can muster.

Hello 2013. I guess I do have a resolution after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment