Thursday, January 24, 2013

'& (Then)'... Chicago

It's funny, the title of this blog, my little space on the internet, is kind of serendipitous. I liked 'roots and wings' because I had long noticed a theme in my life: I wavered between desiring adventure and needing security. A fiercely independent and ambitious girl who also happened to be extremely sentimental and somewhat practical.

After years of struggling to be one or the other, I thought I had achieved a good balance, even if I was still pulled in different directions at times.

www.rootsandwings.blogspot.com was taken. To be honest, I threw a 'then' in there so I could get writing, not giving it much thought, and never even considering www.wingsandroots.blogspot.com. Roots & (then) wings just made sense to me, innately.

You know how when you rent a car, you see that car everywhere? You're like, how is everyone driving a black Impala? Well, after I chose the title, I noticed a new theme: comfort, then adventure. In that order. As if the only way I could truly explore was by first being anchored in a place of familiarity. I think this is true of a majority of people, but for me, it is a lesson that I am learning over and over about myself. And it always surprises me how fundamental it is to my happiness.

This is why it's pretty fitting that almost exactly two years after I bought my house in Marquette, I landed an exciting new job in Chicago. Yes, I am headed for city living. I will always call Marquette home (the 28 remaining years on my mortgage cinch that deal). But now that I've tended to the roots, it's time for some wings. Chicago, here I come.


I'm acutely aware that I am leaving most of my best friends, my family, and what grounds me. But I am wildly excited to discover what's waiting for me and Henley Boo on the other side.

Roots, check. And then...

No comments:

Post a Comment