Thursday, May 10, 2012

Up in the air

Per the ever-present theme of roots and wings in my life, change tends to send me scrambling for some certainty. I really only thrive when there is a balance. I am constantly searching it out.

I realize change is pretty much the theme of life ("Change is the only constant" and all), but I can only take so much of it before I need a good, healthy dose of something concrete. Today, for many reasons, was the tipping point. Whether the change is good (progress!), bad, or to-be-determined is usually not the point. After passing a certain threshold, I head for home.

One of the blessings of living in my hometown is that I can retreat to my parent's house in about 6 minutes. Tonight I watched the news with my dad, took a sauna, and holed up in my old bedroom watching reruns of How I Met Your Mother (I feel for you, Teddy) while waiting for my mom to get home from an event. It was exactly what I needed--my roots.

I know there is opportunity in change. I know change means growth. But change just leaves me a little up in the air. Albeit in really, really good company.

Dad and me at my undergrad graduation party, 2006.

 Jake and me in New York, 2011.

Mom and me in Rome, 2008.

Henley Boo-Boo on the way home from Wetmore, 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment