Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Qualities I Want In a Dude; And Why I Don't Need Them

Sure, I have my deal breakers: No anger management issues. Emotionally available. No laziness. Must love dogs. Uses capital letters when appropriate. You know, the usual.

But the list of 'that'd be nice' gets longer the more time goes by. The more guys I weed out, more obscure traits come to the forefront and are labeled as questionable. These are qualities that are not necessarily deal-breakers, but we're not talking six-figure incomes or a six-pack, either. I'm picky, not shallow. Rather, these are those in-between things that would sweeten the deal and, in some cases, make my life a hell of a lot more convenient.




So, for giggles, I started keeping a list of traits that would be nice in a partner, beyond my deal-breakers. By doing so, I kind of proved them to be obsolete. Here are some good, fun reminders that I'm doing just fine on my own terms AND that love is blissfully blind:

Would be nice: A strong back. Who will move a dresser if I drop an earring?? Someone to lug the groceries inside would be nice, too.
Why I don't need it: I've lived alone this long (since 2007). They make moving discs. I have a rockin' physical therapist who taught me my limits. And I'm learning how to ask for help!

Would be nice: Similar diets. The thought of cooking two meals each night kills me. And I've never cooked a steak in my life.
Why I don't need it: It's 2012. He can grill his own damn meat. And I'm fairly certain anyone can learn to love quinoa.



Would be nice: No pteromerhanophobics or, in English, fear of flying.
Why I don't need it: I like car trips. And I have a mother and plenty of friends who'd want to hop a flight abroad with me. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, after all. Henley will love the company.

Would be nice: No sports fanatics. That all just seems like so much to learn! Plus, the downs in football have been explained to me 100 times. I only know that there are four of them. And right now I am definitely second-guessing that...
Why I don't need it: Maybe the right blue-eyed boy hasn't explained them yet? Plus, I kind of like Super Bowl parties. And the final four is pretty fun. And sports bars have vodka. And they probably make documentaries about athletes that are probably interesting. Probably.



Would be nice: No pet mice.
Why I don't need it: Eh, go ahead and move mice-lovers to the deal-breakers column.


1 comment:

  1. If they like sports and you don't, that's ok because there will be things you like that they don't. It's good to have different hobbies as well as similar passions.

    ReplyDelete