Thursday, July 19, 2012

I Love [The] NY [Times]

God, there have been so many articles recently in the The New York Times that I have devoured. Articles that I find myself thinking about the next day at breakfast, or emailing to friends. Articles that I want to discuss, at length, with a vodka-soda and a highlighter.

Here are a few that have really made me think recently:

"The Wedding Effect": Maggie Shipstead writes about how other people's weddings can impair your own judgement, for better or for worse.
"I’m 29, squarely in the middle of that heady span of years when the tempo driving the game of conjugal musical chairs has suddenly accelerated and summer weekends are spent zipping around the country watching friend after friend tie the knot. There is something numbing about all this marrying."
"Friends of A Certain Age": Alex Williams writes about the difficulties people have making friends as they get older.
“My ideas of friendship were built by ‘The Godfather’ and ‘Diner,’ ” he said. “Your friends were your brothers, and anything but total loyalty at all costs meant excommunication. As you get older, that model becomes unrealistic.”
"Nora Ephron Dies at 71": I didn't realize how many movies she had made--and how many books she had written! My Amazon wishlist just got a shot in the arm. But what struck me was how Meryl Streep remembered her:
“You could call on her for anything: doctors, restaurants, recipes, speeches, or just a few jokes, and we all did it, constantly,” she wrote in her e-mail. “She was an expert in all the departments of living well.”
If that's not how we all wish to live, grow old and be remembered, I don't know what is.

P.S. Two other non-Times articles I found enchanting: An Excerpt from 'I Remember Nothing' (Huffington Post) and Moving On (The New Yorker):
"Things change in New York; things change all the time. You don't mind this while you live here; it's part of the caffienated romance of the city that never sleeps. But when you leave you experience it as a betrayal... It seems like the moment you left town they put a wall up around the place, and you will never manage to vault over it and get back into that city again."


No comments:

Post a Comment