Monday, June 11, 2012

Books I Might Write Someday

My friend Allison and I recently took a spontaneous jaunt through Marquette on a Wednesday night. We ended up compulsively Googling on our phones under the table playing trivia at a local bar, while commiserating about how startlingly young the other trivia-players were. But earlier in the night, we stopped for a patio beverage, and then meandered on in search of food. While we indulged on chips with salsa and fries with mustard (me) and ranch (her), we talked about life: inspiration, body image, dating horror stories, family dynamics, health, regrets, and--in true fashion for two type-A gals--goals and lessons learned.

It was one of those conversation that never ends; it weaved effortlessly back and forth between her thoughts and mine, without interruptions, censorship or fear of monopolizing someone's time. I'm an editor by my very nature and it's a rare occasion when I can walk away from spontaneous conversations feeling like I've said everything I needed to say in the best way I knew how. But I am so myself and so at ease with Allison that I can edit myself out loud in real time. Quality friendship allows this. It's one of the many reasons I love the girl.

The conversation turned to writing and we talked about all of the stories we had to share, all of the stories that were still unfolding, and all of the possibility in our lives. We made lists of projects we should collaborate on: Where our interests, backgrounds and outlooks intersected, complemented one another or balanced one another out.

While one project is in the works (eeek!), I will save the other titles and topics we came up with for later because if there is one thing I know about Allison, the girl delivers her dreams. It's something I admire about her and I can only hope some of it is rubbing off on me.

But in hopes that I may one day ditch my filter, push aside my fear of losing acceptance at the expense of honesty and overcome my complex about getting every word just right, here are a few books I might write someday. Heads up for my byline, people. (And be sure to read the dedication page, where I only hope to adequately thank my wonderful friends for helping me see how funny this cruel, wacky world really is.)

He's Out There Somewhere: What Not to Say to Your Token Single Friend



Doctors May Be The Death Of Me: My Journey To Fix My Back, My Gut and My Relationship with Health Care


Everything Happens For A Reason and 42 Other Lame-Ass Things People Say When Life Hands You Lemons (And Why They're Usually Right)

Type A-nnoying: Toning Down Your Perfectionism, Cultivating Patience and Learning When to Surrender Control (Tips For Happy Relationships) <---Obviously I'll be editing this one for a good long while. :)


Kiss ALL of the Frogs: A Letter To Every Boy I've Ever Loved...If Even For a Hot Minute


No comments:

Post a Comment