Friday, June 7, 2013

Brain Crushes

I have several brain crushes going on at the moment.

Are you worried about future generations? Think kids today are spoiled and headed nowhere fast? Don't. There are kids like Jack Andraka, and the people who raised and nurtured him, out there.

"I got 199 rejection emails and one acceptance."
 
Claudia Zelevansky, writing about her looming 40th birthday, made me think about my 30-Before-30 list a little differently: 

"Because no matter how good your current comparative lists look, there's always that other list, the secret list you made a long time ago...
I'm not telling you what was on mine.
Because in truth, being 40 minus a year and 4 weeks old has taught me that my secret list is a catalog of extremely impressive virtues that have very little to do with me." 

And, finally, Ally Hamilton put into words what I've been busy doing these last couple of years. I don't necessarily believe I have something in particular that I'm "healing" from, but this part resonated so much that I printed it out to hang on my bathroom mirror:
 

"I got my sh&t together so that I truly enjoyed being on my own. It wasn’t comfortable, and I’m not going to tell you I didn’t spend the first few months of that time weeping a lot. But after that, it was actually quite nice. And then it became awesome. And then it became so awesome, I thought, only someone amazing could make me want to change this up. And that’s how you enter a relationship coming from a place of curiosity, and not need. So it’s a choice you make and not a problem you’re trying to solve. If someone is running from you, by all means, let them go. You have you. You get to have you. Make that a great thing. Realize what a gift that is. So that you value yourself and your time and energy, and would never dream of giving any of that to anyone who wasn’t running in your direction."
Plus, two things simply because I'm obsessed:

I love this song so much. The video is kind of nutty though.

Briohny Smyth is a total rockstar.

No comments:

Post a Comment