Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Upswing

My last post was a bit depressing, yes, but pretty indicative of the last year, and pretty cathartic to write. While my pain has gone up and down, in the worst of it I went from bed to work to store to bed, rinse and repeat. Thankfully, after a few weeks of pool therapy (and jet massages!), I am feeling pretty good, and am able to move on to some more full-body strengthening in addition to some more pool time.

Two things that have helped tremendously this time around is walking with my friend Allison in the mornings and listening to my body. When I'm tired, I rest. When I need to expend some energy, I walk on the beach with Henley. When I'm hungry, I eat. When I'm not, I read. Breaking up others' (read: doctors') expectations and settling into my own non-rhythm has been, I think, what is key to getting me to a place in physical therapy where I can strengthen without overdoing it, seizing up or having spasms. That, or the irritated nerve is healing. Either way.

Either way really is fine (I'll take any progress I can get!), but the lesson is not lost on me. How can it be? It keeps popping up over and over. Hey, Bobbi, chill a little. Let it happen. Take it slowly.

I'm on the upswing. My muscles are sore (in a good way). My heart is light. I'm going to try to gain some momentum this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment