Sunday, March 4, 2012

Opportunistically Pink

I had some time today in between shoveling the apocalyptic amount of snow and obsessively playing the Oregon Trail iPhone app to photograph the infamous pink closet.

I will confess to you that this was an excellent time to take these photos because a) 75% of my clothes are currently sorted into piles on my kitchen floor ready for the laundry extravaganza that will be taking place while I prep my food for the week tonight, and b) Henley was tired from jumping at the snow shovel and she was relatively uninterested in being the star of the show. So, this is really nowhere near how the closet usually looks, but at least this way you might be able to tell that there is a floor, shelves and hooks. Usually it’s just a blur of pink, purple and navy.

The color is a little deeper than the photo above… more magenta-pink than pink-Barbie, if that makes any sense. When I brought one of my favorite winter scarves into Lowe’s to use as a muse for the paint color, the middle-aged guy at the counter looked at me with a raised brow, and said, “What exactly are you using this for again?” I definitely got the vibe that he didn’t understand my vision.

My vision was this: I figured this was the only time I’d be able to do something like this… unless my future husband happens to be super laid-back or color-blind, which now that I mention it would be awesome.

The rest of the room has some bookshelves, my desk/office area, a spare bed and dresser, which I’ll photograph when it’s … clean. J


My brother built some shelves into both sides of the closet. When I moved in, it was white and empty. I already had the little turquoise bins and shoe organizer from my previous apartments.

My dad hung some hooks. Here is the (admittedly ridiculous) thing about me: Out of sight, waaaay out of mind. I like to be able to see my clothes, my spices, my shoes. Otherwise I cook the same things and wear the same things. My mom used to get so frustrated with me whining, “There’s nothing to eat!” when all I had to do was look in the next row of the refrigerator. In this house I’m just embracing it and making sure I organize things so that I can see all my options.

I got the straw baskets from Big Lots on super sale and risked my life spray painting the hell out of them in my basement. This is when I really wish I had a garage.

The rest of the day will consist of quinoa-making, trips up and down the stairs for laundry, and nervously forging the river on Oregon Trail. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment